Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lemon Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

2 ¾ all-purpose flour

1 cup butter

1 cup granulated white sugar

1 egg

1 tb lemon juice

1 tb water

1 ½ ts shredded lemon peel

¼ ts baking powder

¼ ts salt

1 ounce square semi-sweet chocolate (grated)

Directions:

1. Cream 1 cup of softened butter with 1 cup of sugar.

2. Beat in 1 egg, 1 ½ teaspoon of shredded lemon peel, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon water.

3. In a separate bowl, stir together 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour,¼ teaspoon baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt; stir into creamed mixture.

4. Stir in and 1 ounce square semi-sweet chocolate grated (1/3 cup).

5. Shape into two 9 inch rolls wrap in waxed paper or clear plastic wrap. Chill thoroughly.

6. Cut into ¼ inch slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Makes about 6 dozen.

These are my absolute favorite cookies and dessert of all time. My grandmother has been making them for as long as I can remember, especially for Christmas when the whole family (her husband’s children and grandchildren as well) gets together; eventually, when I was old enough she handed down the recipe to me. It’s not an old family secret, although I have never found the recipe online anywhere when I’ve misplaced my copy. Rather, she found it in a cookbook several decades ago when my father and his two brothers were just kids. The cookies were their favorite too. Now that I am at college, every once and a while, Grandma will send me a wax-paper lined shoebox full of these cookies and my mouth starts instantly watering; although they taste great when I make them, hers still taste better for some magical reason.

Submitted by Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment