Sunday, April 1, 2012

Broccoli Rabe Pesto

Ingredients:
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shelled walnuts
1/3 pound of trimmed broccoli rabe
1 garlic clove
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
pinch of crushed red pepper
1/3 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I add a bit of season salt too!)
3/4 pound pasta
3/4 cup reserved pasta water

Directions:
In a 350 degree oven, toast walnuts. Let them cool and chop 2 tablespoons to set aside.

Meanwhile, blanche broccoli rabe in a large boiling pot of very salty water for about 3 minutes.. Rinse under cold water, drain and let it cool. Squeeze out excess water and coarsely chop (I usually just throw it into the food processor as is).

In a food processor, mince the garlic and add 1/3 cup of walnuts. Pulse the processor to coarsely chop the nuts. Add broccoli rabe, olive oil, and crushed red pepper until the broccoli rabe is finely chopped. Add 1/3 cup of cheese and pulse until mixture is just combined. Season with salt and pepper and scrape into a large bowl.

Add your cooked pasta to the bowl and pesto mixture and mix until pasta is well-coated. Add pasta water if needed in order to thin out the mixture over the pasta (I typically d not use all of the pasta water that I save).
Add remaining chopped walnuts and serve; top with more grated cheese and crushed red pepper if desired.
Since I do most of the weeknight cooking in my house, I am always looking for recipes that are easy, quick, and healthy. This is one of my favorites because it can be made in under half an hour and features broccoli rabe - one of my favorite veggies. Feel free to add whatever add-ins you choose: chicken, shrimp, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, scallops - whatever really. Toss with your favorite pasta (I use whole-wheat or 50% whole wheat penne, but linguine, farfalle, rigatoni or angel hair works great too!)
Submitted by Sarah

3 comments:

  1. -Tаρ the wеathег contгols tωiсe and thе ѕun
    will come οut aѕ well aѕ thе bird.
    UFΟs have been apрearing іn our skiеs sincе
    the 1940's and sightings have increased dramatically in the last decade. In the 1940s they were called Foo Fighters and they harassed both U S and German pilots throughout the war.

    Feel free to visit my homepage ... Ufo News

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mу bгother suggeѕted I might lіkе thіs websіtе.
    He wаs totally right. Thiѕ ρost
    truly madе my day. You cаn not imаgine ѕimρly how much time I hаd ѕpent for thiѕ infοгmation!
    Thаnks!

    my blog ρost ... Giochi Moto Gratis Online

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mates, fastіdiouѕ ρost and goоd urging cοmmented аt thiѕ place, I am truly enϳoying
    by thеsе.

    Mу weblog: latest news

    ReplyDelete